We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Potato tableware "Bullfinch" from domestic breeders is one of the most popular varieties not only in the Russian Federation, but also in neighboring countries. The variety is characterized by excellent taste, resistance to frost, presentation and excellent keeping quality.
The variety was bred at the GNUAP of the Northwest Research Institute of Agriculture and the Vavilov Institute of General Genetics and is in demand by small farms and gardeners cultivating potatoes in household plots and summer cottages. The optimal result is observed during cultivation in the Northwest region.
The characterization of the Bullfinch variety allows us to recommend this potato for cultivation in home gardens, as well as in small farms. The duration of the full growing season is an average of one and a half months.
The plant is represented by bushes of medium height, intermediate type, from erect to partially upright, with large and fleshy leaves. The waviness of the leaves is absent or very slight. Floral corollas of medium size. Inflorescences of lilac color.
Potato "Bullfinch" forms root crops oval-oblong, even in shape, covered with a smooth, red skin with very small, scattered eyes. The average weight of a marketable root crop can vary from 60 to 90 g. The pulp in the section is milky-white in color, with an average starch content of 16.8-18%. This variety is characterized by the friendly formation of tubers, the keeping quality of which reaches an average of 9%.
Potatoes from the Russian Bullfinch selection have established themselves in most regions. The variety is highly appreciated by gardeners and small farms for such positive qualities as high productivity, the possibility of obtaining the earliest and highest quality crop (the first digging allows you to get 60-115 kg / ha), the friendly formation of the marketable tubers, and the high palatability of potato pulp. The period from seedlings to the technical maturity of the crop is 70-75 days. The average productivity of 350-450 kg / ha.
The variety is characterized by the presence of immunity to potato cancer, has an average resistance to common scab, viruses, and high resistance to macrospore and tuber blight. As with many new varieties, the Bullfinch is characterized by nematode susceptibility, which should be taken into account when pre-planting tubers.
The potato is bred as a table and is perfect for baking in the oven as a whole and processing into chips.
Features of growing potatoes
In order to get a high and high-quality potato crop, it is necessary to carry out the following activities:
- Potato "Bullfinch" is quite demanding on the soil composition. The soil for planting should be as light as possible, breathable and fertile. When pre-sorting tubers by size, be sure to discard irregular and atypical in shape, as well as suspicious tubers with rot and stem nematode.
- In recent years, significant damage to potato plantings is caused by rhizoctoniosis, or black scab. And although the Bullfinch variety is resistant to it, it is nevertheless very important to timely carry out preventive treatment of tubers before germinating with the Maxim or Fitosporin preparation. Processing potatoes before planting with Zircon or Immunocytophytes will also help increase immunity.
- A reduced level of resistance of the variety to the nematode requires the use of measures aimed at increasing the plant's own forces, including the application of mineral fertilizers. A very good result was noted when using potassium-containing granules, which are introduced when digging the soil. In the spring, funds such as Kemira Potato, nitrophoska, universal potato WMD, humate urea, and superphosphate should be added.
- It is still very valuable to introduce wood ash when planting as a fertilizer. The “Bulba” preparation is a gummed fertilizer based on ash, which is used to dust seed potatoes before planting on the basis of an average of 90 g of the product for every 10 kg of tubers prepared for planting.
Potato "Bullfinch" is responsive to high agricultural technology, but also novice potato growers get a very good harvest if the following rules are met:
- The first time after planting potatoes is not recommended to be watered. In the future, the irrigation schedule should depend on climatic conditions in the region of growing potatoes, as well as weather and soil conditions. It is especially important to maintain sufficient soil moisture at the stages of budding and flowering.
- Feeding early bullfinch potatoes should be combined with the first hilling. At this phase, it is recommended to use a solution based on potash, nitrogen and phosphate fertilizers. A good result shows the introduction of nitrophosphate, at the rate of 15-20 g per square meter of area. The first top dressing can also be carried out using manure or bird droppings, which have a very strong effect and must be surely properly diluted with water. In addition, in order to protect against burns, such fertilizers should be infused for at least a day. Fertilizing should always be supplemented by watering and loosening the soil.
Potato "Bullfinch" is described by many gardeners as a wonderful early variety, which has proven itself on almost any type of soil and in any region. The variety belongs to the category of new products, but is now being evaluated as the most promising for homestead farms. Potatoes of this variety are unpretentious, perfectly adaptable to unstable weather conditions and do not cause any problems during cultivation.
Reviews of potato growers are mostly positive. The variety is drought tolerant, forms tubers even, on them there are no neoplasms and secondary tubers. "Bullfinch" is a beautiful variety, and many consumers recently like potatoes with red or pink tubers. In addition, the variety is attractive because in cooking it becomes friable and rather fragrant, and its tubers are ideal for roasting on charcoal or in the oven.