We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The Canadian breed of turkeys is considered one of the most promising among breeders. These birds are raised for a variety of tasks. They are a source of dietary meat, delicious eggs, delicate fluff. Such birds are very large in size. Moreover, their indisputable advantage is the rapid weight gain. At the same time, the birds are considered unpretentious to the conditions of detention.
Description and characteristics of Canadian turkeys
These birds belong to the broiler category. They were created by Canadian breeders on the basis of the white broad-breasted breed. These birds bring high profits to farmers and serve as a real decoration of the farmstead. Canadian turkeys are distinguished by the following features:
- beautiful dark feathers with ashy markings or snow-white color;
- a fan-shaped tail;
- a large scarlet drop on the chin;
- powerful chest;
- coral-colored growths located on the neck and head;
- strong legs.
Many farmers claim that white birds are considered to be more profitable to keep because the feathers are not visible on their carcasses. The chicks of this breed are characterized by large size and rapid growth. At 1 month old, they resemble adult ducks in weight. By 3 months, birds reach slaughter weight. By this time, males weigh 30 kilograms, and females - 16. At this stage, the weight gain stops, and therefore it becomes unprofitable to feed the birds.
Zarechny Maxim Valerievich
Agronomist with 12 years of experience. Our best summer cottage expert.
In addition to a large amount of meat, turkeys produce tasty and healthy eggs. The egg-laying period lasts 15 months. During this period, females bring at least 100 eggs weighing 75 grams.
Advantages and disadvantages
There are many benefits to Canadian turkeys.
tasty and tender meat;
rapid development and early maturation;
undemanding to growing conditions;
pronounced maternal instinct;
high parameters of hatchability of chickens - up to 93%.
frequent need for artificial insemination;
sensitivity of young birds to temperature parameters;
the need for year-round availability of grass in the diet.
Maintenance and care requirements
When growing turkeys at home, a number of conditions should be observed:
- When breeding adult birds, it is recommended to maintain the temperature regime in the house within + 5-30 degrees. Turkey poults require special conditions. They need a temperature of + 20-25 degrees. Otherwise, the birds will face colds.
- Birds are very demanding on lighting. Therefore, it is recommended to light the premises well.
- The turkey house must be free. It is definitely worth installing perches in it. They are recommended to be located 1 meter from the floor.
- A prerequisite for the productive cultivation of birds is the cleanliness of the feeders and drinkers.
- It is important to monitor the moisture parameters - the house cannot be wet. It is also recommended to avoid drafts in the room. The litter should always be kept dry. It is recommended to ensure that they do not rot and become moldy, as this will provoke various pathologies in birds.
Despite being of the broiler type, Canadian turkeys need regular walks. This is especially true for young birds.
How to feed the birds?
Even with a meager diet, Canadian turkeys are great at gaining weight. But to activate this process, birds need to organize the correct diet. For full development, birds need dry and wet food, which contains many vitamins and minerals. It is worth feeding the birds 5 times a day. In large farms, turkeys are given different types of compound feed. Additionally, they are provided with soaked cereals, vitamins and minerals. At home, the diet of birds can be made even more diverse. Since birds are considered omnivores, it is permissible to give them the following:
- fresh vegetables;
- non-acidic dairy products;
- herbs - birds love clover, alfalfa, speck, vegetable tops;
- boiled cereals;
Adult birds in the morning and in the evening should be given compound feed and cereals. During the day, it is recommended to feed turkeys with wet mash with herbs and vegetables. It is also worth adding meat and bone meal to them.
Fewer cereals are included in the diet of laying hens. Better to give preference to grass and vegetables. In addition, the birds should be fed with dairy products, which will help saturate the body with calcium and improve the quality of the shell.
Dry and wet types of food should be distributed among different feeders. At 3 months, turkeys, on average, need 2 kilograms of food per day. Birds must have constant access to the supplements they need for digestion. These include chalk, ash, sand, gravel, shells. Containers with such products must be placed in the poultry house and in the walking enclosure.
Breeding the breed
A suitable age for breeding in Canadian turkeys is considered to be 2-4 years. At the same time, males show maximum activity at 2-3 years old. Males are usually 2 times the size of females. This is why birds have certain mating problems. In such a situation, it is impossible to do without artificial insemination of birds.
The hens are distinguished by good maternal instinct. They are able to hatch eggs and take care of the chicks. To avoid depletion of the birds, feeders and drinkers are placed near the nest. The nests should be installed 50 centimeters from the floor. Their dimensions must match the size of the bird - on average, they are 60x60 centimeters. Having a clean, dry bedding is also important. It should be made from straw or hay.
Growing turkeys of this breed is considered a profitable activity. The excellent profitability of the breed is due to the high rate of growth and development of birds. At the same time, the birds are undemanding to the conditions of detention. You don't have to spend a lot of money to grow them.
Canadian turkeys suffer from various pathologies. With a lack of vitamins and minerals, they develop vitamin deficiency. There is also a risk of impaired appetite or rickets. If the conditions of keeping the birds are not observed, they face dangerous infections - smallpox, tuberculosis, helminthic invasion.
To avoid the development of dangerous pathologies, it is worth following these rules:
- On the first day after birth, it is recommended that the chicks be given a solution of ascorbic acid containing glucose.
- On days 2-5, birds need the preparation "Amino-vital" or "Irex-vital". To do this, take a pinch of the product per 1 liter of water.
- On days 6-10, the birds are advised to give a little "Furozolidone". The substance helps prevent intestinal infections.
- It is recommended to use "Amprolium" for 15-20 days. It helps prevent coccidiosis.
- On the 40th day it is worth giving "Metronidazole". It is recommended to use the product for 4 days. It helps to avoid infection of birds by the simplest microorganisms.
Canadian turkeys are highly productive. They are characterized by rapid weight gain. In order for the birds to develop normally and not get sick, they need to be provided with careful care and balanced nutrition.